Do you want to know how to get a better voice for singing? Improving your voice is much easier than it sounds.
Learning to sing is primarily about keeping balance in your breathing habits and learning the right exercises.
The art of learning to sing and advancing your singing voice involves learning to work with what you already have in your vocal range.
This collection contains elementary exercises that will help you make your voice stronger and more beautiful. Let’s get it!
How To Get A Better Voice For Singing?
Many people give up vocals simply because they believe they have no musical talent. A beautiful voice is the result of numerous and long training sessions.
In such a situation, simple exercises that you can do at home as often as you can afford will come to your aid. Find out how to make your voice better for singing here!
#1. See A Vocal Coach
If you want to reach a professional level and improve your voice for singing, you cannot do without a competent vocal teacher. You may risk losing a lot of time on trial and error without him.
#2. Practice With Good Posture
The correct posture is also important. It is best to perform vocal compositions while standing in a free position. That is, your shoulders should turn back to free your lungs as much as possible.
#3. Choose A Song In Your Vocal Range
When singing, you should, first of all, pay attention to the comfort of the performance. It applies to the preferred key and range and the appropriate timbre, manner of performance, and even volume.
Your voice presents the maximum naturalness of performance, the absence of tension, and the least fatigue. Further, working in this sound, you can more easily develop your range.
#4. Learn To Breathe Correctly
Breathing occurs due to the tension of the lower rib muscles and the diaphragm. It creates deep support for sound and reduces the load on the vocal cords.
Inhalation is necessary to be fast and energetic, and exhalation is extremely slow and smooth. It’s needed to sing with more abdominal muscles than neck muscles.
Think of the singing that opera singers do. That’s the style of singing that is most sustainable.
It would help if you started by feeling the sensation of breathing in and out at a normal pace via pushing in with your belly muscles.
When inhaling and exhaling, the shoulders should not move, but the stomach should rise and fall. You can control this by placing your palm on the iliac region just below the solar plexus.
Breathing is the basis of the voice. A good vocalist never breaks his voice because he uses his vocal cords only to form sound, and breathing gives strength and volume to his voice.
Every day, we do not need to control the respiratory processes to increase the volume and strength of the voice. So every novice vocalist must learn to breathe correctly from the beginning.
- Stand up correctly. Feet shoulder-width apart. One leg in front, knees slightly bent and relaxed. The back is straight, and the shoulders are maximally laid back and relaxed, the chest is slightly protruded.
- It will help if you breathe deeply into the abdominal cavity to inflate the abdomen and lumbar region.
- Learn to push air out of your abdomen using your abdominal muscles as you exhale, sing, and speak. Train by taking a series of breaths after taking a deep breath. The more exhalations you can make, the better.
#5. Work On Opening Your Mouth
Pronouncing the sound helps to improve blood circulation. This sound can carry the highest frequency if you are doing everything correctly.
During the exercise, you can feel a slight skin vibration by placing your palm on your head. All this indicates that your blood vessels begin to gain oxygen much faster. As a result, the development of the vocal cords is taking place.
#6. Learn To Warm Up Properly
When you sing, your vocal cords constantly vibrate. Therefore, you need to warm them up, like the muscles, before training before the process itself. To do this, you must inhale and exhale through the mouth for 2 minutes.
Warming up is a vital part of any workout. It prepares your muscles for prolonged stress and minimizes the chance of injury.
Your vocal cords are also muscles. You can damage them if you give loads thoughtlessly and without preparation.
Warming up exercises:
- Yawn with your mouth wide open: Yawning helps to relax the neck and throat, and when yawning, the larynx takes the correct position. Remember the position of the vocal apparatus when yawning; try to maintain it when singing.
- Relax your lips: Try humming something with your mouth closed, blowing air through closed, relaxed lips. The lips will vibrate funnily. This exercise is not given straight away. When you learn how to perform it on simple sounds, move on to the scales.
- Sing with your mouth closed: Imagine holding a balloon in your mouth. Close your lips, open the teeth, and lower the lower jaw.
#7. Sing Every Day
To achieve the desired voice, you need to sing regularly. Practice makes perfect.
Sing as much as possible if you want to improve the sound of their voice. In this way, you can strengthen the vocal cords and find your style of performance.
A home karaoke player will provide invaluable help for novice vocalists. You can significantly improve the ability to accurately reproduce a melody without falsity and train your musical ear.
Play your favorite songs often. It’s better to choose one genre and not change it.
This way you can practice and learn the basics of singing. In addition, this activity is always uplifting.
#8. Record Yourself Singing
What is it for? When you hear your voice in the recording, you can more easily determine what is wrong. This method will help you identify his weak points and not repeat mistakes in the future.
#9. Treat Your Voice Gently
Screaming will cause tension in the muscles of the larynx. This situation can cause bleeding into the vocal folds; these injuries can resemble bruises.
You can insert earplugs into one ear or close it with your finger to avoid straining your voice in a loud environment. It will help you hear yourself better and adjust the pitch.
#10. Drink More Water
This advice is useful not only for losing weight but also for singers. Singing will dry out your throat faster than speaking. Water will lubricate your ligaments like a mechanism in a car.
The water should be neither cold nor hot but at room temperature. But it is not recommended to drink right before singing.
The liquid produces excessive saliva, which can create unnecessary chomping. You’d harder rinse your throat instead of drinking water.
#11. Eat The Right Foods For Your Voice
Ordinary everyday food and its frequency reception can affect the quality of the voice. It’s advised not to eat foods that irritate the throat.
These foods include everything spicy and very salty, also sour and containing alcohol. You should use medication and gargle with caution.
It is important what you eat. Inappropriate nutrition can weaken the power of the voice, make it inexpressive and dull.
To make your voice sound more beautiful, you need to pay attention to the following two food groups.
- Salty, acidic, and spicy foods increase gastric secretion, which can irritate the mucous membrane of the pharynx and larynx.
- Seeds, nuts, chocolate, soda, hard candies, and toffee can cause irritation and coughing.
- Food and drink that are too hot and too cold make the throat sore, and the secretion of phlegm increases.
- Alcoholic drinks provoke dryness and swelling of the larynx.
- Canned juices and fruits that contain many citric acids will irritate the throat. Sometimes they even burn the mucous membrane and adversely affect the elasticity of the ligaments.
- Sweet tea and coffee contain tannin that dries out the vocal folds.
- Dairy products also knit mucous membranes. They provoke the formation of mucus in the larynx, which interferes with sound. They also become a favorable environment for the development of bacteria.
- Choosing foods that are rich in vitamin A helps keep the mucous membranes healthy. This substance can also rehabilitate the voice after overexertion.
- It’s recommended to diversify the diet with yellow vegetables and fruits.
- It is important to follow a healthy diet that will keep you in good shape. Protein is necessary for the muscles that take the most active part in the work when extracting sounds.
- Boiled meat, fish, eggs, buckwheat, and rice are suitable. Vegetables and fruits will be an important part of a healthy lifestyle and protect the ligaments from irritation.
#12. Give Up Tobacco
Tobacco smoke can burn and irritate your throat, making your voice become coarse and thick. The mucous membrane turns red, and the vessels start to absorb carcinogenic substances and resins.
Over time, the vocal folds become thickened and flaky, like a sponge with large holes. Even a rare hookah smoking can decrease your tone and hoarseness for a few days.
Frequent Mistakes When Learning To Sing At Home
- Try to become a famous singer: It’s not necessary to do that. Expand its range, perfect your ear for music. However, sing with your voice.
- Practice from time to time: If you practice one day a week for 3 hours, you will not achieve significant success. If you exercise 5 times a week for an hour, the results will be much better.
- Psychological stiffness: You won’t succeed if you always think that you are doing something wrong.
The video below talks more about the most common mistakes you can make when practicing singing at home.
We’ve covered how to get a better voice for singing. It is not easy; you need to work on yourself for a long time without resorting to the services of teachers.
You need to follow the recommendations of specialists, perform all the exercises, and practice more often. Go to your goal, and you will succeed!